Increasing your knowledge of tools and improving your process is instrumental in being a valuable team member. Luckily, learning new tools is half the fun of game development!
Unreal Engine 4
Game engine used in 10+ projects. I'm able to work with a team to create games using Unreal Engine, and have worked with most of the core tools the engine provides.
Experience: ~4 years
- Blueprinting: Implementing content and gameplay systems.
- Level Design: Creating whiteboxed levels and gameplay challenges using BSP.
- Materials: Creating and implementing (dynamic) materials, such as parallax backgrounds.
- User Interface: Familiar with User Interfaces and Widgets to create basic menus and HUD elements.
- Debugging: Able to track down and debug editor warnings & errors and find performance issues using built-in tools.
Used for the last 3 years as my main source control. Fully integrated into my workflow.
Experience: ~3 years
- Source Control: Using Perforce & Swarm to work on projects with large teams.
- Code Reviews: Using Perforce and Swarm to request and perform code reviews to ensure stable builds.
Jira has been the main production and sprint planning tool used in my last projects. I am familiar with using it as a user and as a project administrator.
Experience: ~2 years
- Agile/Scrum: General structure and methodology used during Agile and Scrum workflows.
- Custom Workflow: Working with Server administrators to set up custom workflows and new settings for tasks to increase productivity.
Excel is my go-to for organising and saving data. I can use the basic functionality, as well as add my own.
Experience: ~1 year
- Visual Basic in Excel: Implementing new functionality in sheets by scripting it through Visual Basic.
- Data Structure: Organising data using conditional formatting, data validation, graphs and other features.
Slack & Discord
Main communication tools for all projects I have worked on thusfar.
- Working Remotely: Working on projects remotely.
- Team Communication: Effectively communicating using text and voice chats through Slack and Discord.
Aseprite is my main tool for pixel art and quick design sketches.
Experience: ~2 years
- Design Sketches: Creating quick sketches to visually present ideas, concepts or design iterations.
- Pixel Art: Creating Art Assets for hobby projects.
Powerpoint & Slides
Able to create presentations and present information in visual ways using Powerpoint or Google Slides.
- Presenting Information: Creating visual slides that portray information in interesting ways.
- Public Speaking: Presenting or pitching in front of audiences.
Regularly used create reference and moodboards for projects.
- Reference Boards: Creating reference boards for design or art visions.
Not what you were looking for?
Over the years I have gotten used to molding my workflow around the tools I am given. I am adaptable and flexible with the tools I use and how I use them. I pick up new tools quickly by setting small goals and experimenting with the settings. I will always try to figure out how something works myself, before asking for help. This allows me to understand how the tool functions, rather than just going through the motions.